Water Conservation Tips for the Summer by Your Local Plumbing Experts—Aaron & Son Plumbing & Drain Services
According to Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC), Canadian household’s average daily water use was 251 litres per person in 2011. Despite improvements in household water conservation, Canada remains one of the largest per capita users of fresh water in the world.
At Aaron and Son Plumbing and Drain Services we’re in the water moving business – plumbing. We’ve seen it all, the good and the bad, as well as the right and the wrong way to conserve water. From small fixes to complete bathroom renovations we can help with selecting the right ultra-low water-use fixtures like toilets, showerheads, and faucets to water-efficient appliances. Conserving water also conserves your household energy cost, because energy is used to heat water. Then there’s the collective municipal cost to deliver and treat our water as well as the waste water treatment cost.
To help you conserve water in the heat of summer, we’ve pulled together some of our top tips:
- If you must, water your lawn when it’s cooler – in the early morning or late evening – to reduce water loss from evaporation and to take advantage of off-peak rates.
- Use a drip irrigation system instead of a hose or sprinkler to water your garden
- Utilize rain water by setting up a rain barrel under a gutter outside your house so your garden isn’t reliant on costly municipal water.
- Set lawn mower blades one notch higher because longer grass will result in less evaporation.
- Try xeriscaping – planting native species that don’t require additional watering.
- If you have a swimming pool, use a pool cover to save you up to a thousand gallons of water from evaporation each month.
- Check your pool for leaks often, and if you find a leak get it fixed as soon as possible.
- When washing your car, use a bucket, use a nozzle to direct the spray, and don’t leave the water running.
- Turn off the faucet between rinses when brushing your teeth, or cleaning vegetables when preparing dinner – same for cleaning the dishes afterwards.
- Shorten your showers and flush only when necessary.
These little changes in behavior can have a significant impact on the amount of water you use.
Aaron & Son Plumbing & Drain Services are tailored to your plumbing needs for your home or business and are undertaken with the highest quality of care. For more information about us, our services and pricing, or if you have plumbing related concerns, contact us in Aurora – Newmarket at 905‑717‑2277, in York Region at 905-731-3111, and in Toronto at 416-409-5511 today.