Is Your Plumbing Causing Your High Water Bill?
Your water bill has slowly increased each month, but you do not know why. You are conservative with water use, and you have not done anything different to make up for the extra costs. While you have examined the rates and possible reasons, have you looked at your plumbing?
Your toilet and other fixtures in the home could be the reason you have an excessive water bill. In fact, one leaking toilet can waste up to 19 litres of water per minute, which means your toilet could cost you up to 75,000 litres per day. Most of these small leaks are easily repaired, but even so, you need an established Thornhill plumber to come and do a detailed inspection.
How a Plumbing Inspection Discovers Your Water Leaks
Water leaks can happen in almost any fixture and plumbing connection of your home. Therefore, having a professional Thornhill plumber come out to inspect is best, because they know where to find these water wasters. Here are just a few areas that could be contributing to your high water costs:
- Leaky Faucets – A leaky faucet is a water drain. In fact, one leaking faucet with a small drip could waste up to 11,350 litres per year alone. Most leaky faucets are simple fixes, but if you have outdated fixtures, it might be best to replace them instead.
- Leaking Toilets – Your toilet could be silently running or slowly leaking. If you hear a constant hissing sound, you are likely to have a toilet drain. Also, you can do a quick test with dye to see if the dye in the toilet bowl disappears quickly. Once you detect a leak, contact your plumber in Thornhill to inspect and make sure that the leak is not deeper than just your toilet.
- Leaking Showerheads - Your shower is another culprit for high water bills. Your showerhead could leak without you noticing, especially in an enclosed shower. While the most common cause is a defective shower head or faulty washer, have your plumber inspect the pipes too.
- Irrigation Systems – Outside of your home, your irrigation system, culinary water supplies, and secondary water systems could be increasing your water bill each month. Look for signs of mold or mildew on the lawn or dark areas with puddles of water, because these are the indications of a leak. You will need to call in a plumber if you detect any leaks for plumbing heading into the home.
- Pipes and Plumbing Inside – Your sewage and water supply lines all have the potential to leak. The only way to find the source of that leak is a detailed inspection by a certified and trained plumber.
For Peace of Mind, Book a Plumbing Inspection
Water leaks are silent. Often, you will have leaks for weeks or months before you start to notice. However, by then the damage could be done. Your best defense is to monitor your water bill and the moment you see a drastic change, call Aaron & Son Plumbing and Drain Services for an inspection.
When you suspect there is a leak, schedule your plumbing inspection with your plumber in Thornhill at Aaron & Son Plumbing and Drain Services to get started. Check to see whether we offer services in your area today. You can also reach us in York Region at 905-731-3111, in Aurora-Newmarket at 905-717-2277, and in Toronto at 416-409-5511.